Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 14

    Archivo de Indias

    5 mai 2023, Espagne ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    This building was almost next to the Real Alcazar and Doug was interested in seeing it as it contains the many documents having to do with the age of Discovery and more. Impressive building but the amount you actually can see of the documents is limited; it is largely the building itself which is large and spacious with shelves lining just the perimeter. It was free and we were done in about 30 minutes and headed home noting now hot it was getting.

    The Archivo General de Indias is an archive in Seville that contains more than 10 kilometres of bookshelves with documents from the colonial history of 'Las Indias, or the New World', from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries. This stately building was originally the trade fair from 1584 for the Consulate of the merchants (Consulado de Mercaderes) for the trade of gold, silver, spices and cocoa between Spain and the 'New World'.

    In 1777, historian Juan Bautista was appointed by King Carlos III to describe the history of the New World. Since the opening in 1785, the archive contains 80 million pages of documents from Columbus, Pizarro and Cortés. The museum's collection includes documents, photographs, drawings and diaries.
    En savoir plus