Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Arcos de la Frontera

    May 6, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We got up later than expected; took Uber (5 E) to the nearby rail station to pick up our rental car (an automatic this time). Biggest task was "getting out of Dodge" and we missed a turn (Nancy's interpretation of Google directions not always the best but there is one time she caught Google misdirecting us down a one way street...things are not always as they seem with Google either walking or driving!). From Seville to our first stop an hour later at this town, there was a lot of agricultural land: some vegetable crops giving way to fields of sunflowers, wheat, olive groves and vineyards. Initially the land was flat, then undulating. Highway was two lanes each way with the median planted with plumeria which were flowering, very pretty. Road was initially fairly busy no slow downs except for the posted speeds which varied frequently from 60-120 km/h. We parked at the edge of this first town and ended up walking to the hilltop where there was a church and the remnants of an Arabic castle (the theme of southern Spain!).

    Arcos de la Frontera is beautiful, picturesque village on the banks of the Guadalete River with the typical whitewashed look. The village sits on top of a limestone ridge and the most interesting landmarks here are the stone castle and the Church of San Pedro. Acros de la Frontera traces its history back to the times of the cavemen. The Romans lived here and so did the Moors after them. The Christians ruled the region and the Gothic cathedral is its legacy, famed for its ten bells. The Castillo de Arcos, is a medieval castle with Moorish influence. Calle Neuva is the main street. It is charming with a typical village flair.
    Read more