Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Granada Cathedral

    May 11, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    To tour this cathedral we used the very entertaining free download available on site using their wifi. She took us around the cathedral helping review the parts of a cathedral. Walking down the central aisle nave) you go past the cross (transept) of a crucifix arriving at the choir and then altar and rear to the the apse (very few churches allow you to walk back to the apse via the ambulatory).

    There are side chapels built along both sides of the nave, some deeper than the other. Improved also some general knowledge eg St Peter (San Pedro) holds the keys, St John the Baptist may hold his head and we hope St Christopher, protector of travelers, remains with us on this journey.

    The Granada Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of the Incarnation was built on top of the city's main mosque after the reconquest of Granada. The first stone was laid in 1523, and its architect was Enrique Egas, a master of the Old Gothic School. The cathedral was completed in 1561, and of the two planned towers, only one was built. The cathedral has impressive facades and a stunning interior with a grand altar and several chapels. It is the 4th largest cathedral in the world and was built in accordance with the desires of the Catholic kings. It is 115 meters long and 67 meters wide.
    Read more