Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Monastery San Jeromimo

    May 13, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Breakfast out again....we are missing having a kitchen! After this Doug went to the monastery, Nancy feeling that she'd seen one not long ago, tried to catch up on a few things on the internet at the first StarBucks we've gone to in Europe.
    Nicely laid out with comfortable seats and we could have had our larger serving of American coffee and something for less than what we paid at a local breakfast place so we'll remember that for next time. Internet patchy though so frustratingly lost some of the edits.....

    The Monastery of San Jeronimo is a Renaissance Roman Catholic monastery and was originally founded in Santa Fé by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella during the reconquest of Granada and later relocated to the city center. The construction of the Gothic monastery began in 1504. The monastery consists of the Church of San Jeronimo and two cloisters surrounded by various outbuildings and a chapel. The main courtyard has a Doric doorway decorated with thirty-six semicircular arches with shields, emblems and initials of the founding fathers and the coat of arms of the first Archbishop of Granada and monk, Jerome Hernando de Talavera. The second cloister, now the enclosure of the monastery's community of monks, was the residence of the Empress Isabella of Portugal for her wedding to Charles I of Spain. It's only possible to visit the first floor, since the upper floor is inhabited by cloistered nuns. The audio guide here was very good.
    Read more