Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Mezquita Catedral de Cordoba

    May 14, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    This is a very impressive and interesting building from a variety of points of view and the main draw to the city of Cordoba. It is immense and seems to take up most of the space behind the old walls. Cordoba was at one time the most populated city in all of Europe. After the Moors were driven out of town, the Christians built a cathedral within this huge mosque and added other chapels and additions. Very interesting to see photos of the archaeological dig removing the floor of the cathedral to excavate the Visigoth Christian Church that was there before the Moors drove them out and built the Mosque on top of those remains..

    The Mezquita of Cordoba is one of the world’s most impressive buildings. Each year approximately 1.5 million tourists marvel at this impressive landmark featuring several architectural styles and uniting religious elements of Islam and occidental culture.

    Within the Mezquita, in the very center, is a Renaissance cathedral, which Bishop Alonso Manrique began in 1523. The cathedral’s construction lasted until the beginning of the 17th century. Although parts of the column hall had been destroyed as the cathedral was constructed, the building is still a remarkable and dazzling symbol of fine Moorish architecture.

    Mezquita is most notable for its red-and-white colored giant arches resting on 856 columns. These were made of a Roman temple and other buildings that had occupied the Mezquita site previously.

    Due to its outstanding historical development, including influences of different cultures, Mezquita unites architectural treasures of several epochs, including Greek-Roman, Egyptian, and Visigothic styles. A Byzantine mosaic with praising inscriptions can be found in the southern part of the Mezquita.

    The holy cathedral inside the mosque features all styles of the 16th and 17th centuries: Spanish-Flemish vaults, Renaissance domes, and baroque altar vaults.
    Read more