Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Puerta del Sol - Start of Walking Tour

    May 19, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    In the mid afternoon we took the Rick Steves Audiotour of Madrid historical area - 90 minutes. Started in the "heart of Spain" at Km 0 in front of City Hall in Plaza de Sol. Took a nice course which was accurate including the door where you can ring a bell to go in and get "dulces" (sweets) made by the convent nuns who remain "cloistered" by a lazy susan type table so you don't see who gives you the cookies or takes the money. We decided to go into the Cathedral of Madrid as it was just completed in 1993 after taking 100 years to build. Outwardly looks like the cathedral in Segovia; inside the most modern in terms of the bright ceiling paints and stained glass. Definitely seemed more a cathedral for the modern times with the floor tiles in great shape etc. The San Juan Market, a rusting wrought iron structure built 100 years ago has turned into a tourist hot spot with 30 vendors, tapas on display, people ordering wine/beer and standing up to enjoy. Too much of a tight crowd scene for us so we left after a look see and decided to sit on a close by side street where we had a beer/vermouth. The end of the tour included a stop at place called Chocolateria Sans Gines. Its claim to fame is a churro stop since the late 1800s. Seems to have taken over five adjoining spaces and we had a shawarma sandwich at a place across from it being entertained by waiters carrying trays piled high with churros (two types, thinner and denser and thicker and lighter - get those) and the accompanying thick chocolate sauce which is quite yummy. Pretty much like a light yeasty doughnut with warm sauce to dip it in.

    NB the fellow on the horse is Juan Carlos III, who reigned for 30 years, was not involved in any wars and is known as "the best mayor Madrid ever had for all the work he did to make the city what it is.
    Read more