Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    St. Paul de Mausole

    June 2, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    We squeezed in one last stop to this Romanesque monastery that was built during the 11th-century in the foothills of the Alpilles mountains and just southwest of Saint-Rémy de Provence. Over the subsequent centuries, the monastery became a psychiatric asylum. The resident monks devoted themselves to treating those who required solace and care from the suffering of dementia. Saint-Paul de Mausole, to this day, continues to be a psychiatric health institution.

    Vincent Van Gogh voluntarily entered Saint-Paul de Mausole Asylum from the city of Arles where he was living. Vincent was only at there for just over a year. From 8 May 1889 until 16 May 1890.

    Drove through Saint-Remy-de-Provence on the way back to Avignon and it looks like a very pretty town worth spending some time in. We had to return the car by 1800h and with traffic jams, just made it at 1758h! The gas station near the rental agency had diesel but believe it or not the nozzle was too big to fit into the fill outlet of the Renault and the station attendant couldn't figure it out either! Always something unexpected! Doug negotiated a €7.50 charge for fuel.
    Read more