Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Musee Carnavalet

    June 4, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We walked from our Paris apartment which is just at the border of the Marais where this museum is. The Carnavalet documents the history of Paris in chronological order from its prehistoric origins to the present day. It is a vast museum with over 85 exhibition rooms. Nancy and Jan particularly enjoyed the opening collection of cira 1700s business signs, many no doubt well preserved because they were protected within the 200 covered passages in Paris. The desire to preserve the "old Paris" in the 1800s is well appreciated today! The hodgepodge collection showcases everyday objects, models, historical curiosities, decorative art, and fine art. The section on the French Revolution was very informative, showing the events and places around the city that were involved.

    Indeed, whole buildings, storefronts, glamorous period rooms, and art collections are on view, so it’s like a warehouse of small museums, with no end of surprises.

    We enjoyed our first dinner in Paris at Sacre Frenchy kitty corner to our accommodation; very welcoming staff and we all had rotisserie chicken.
    Read more