Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Paris Day 6

    June 9, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    We were still keen to do a Seine River cruise and recalled that there was a company that left from Pont Neuf near Notre Dame which we could easily walk to. We took the first cruise of the day....along with about 100 Grade students! So much for the live commentary! Next stop: Musee D'Orsay. Lunch on site and then we focused on the Impressionists and Neo-impressionists. Some highlights: Monet: Poppies, Water Lily, Green Harmony (1899). Renoir: Dance at the Moulin de la Galette (1876). Monet Rue Monorgueil (1878). Berthe Morisot: Le Berceau (1872). Gustavo Caillebotte: The Floor Scrapers (1875). Caillebotte financed and patronized the impressionists and was himself a painter; at the time this painting was rejected by the art society given its depiction of working class folk; Renoir's bourgeoisie were the "proper" subjects of the time. Pissarro: popularized pointillism such as Woman in an Orchard (1887). Van Gogh: Bedroom in Arles and Starry Night Arles (1889). Paul Gauguin: Les Bananas (1891).

    We took Toot Bus back to Paris Opera then a taxi back home. We decided after some debate to have French Soup at Sacre Frenchy; unfortunately they forgot our order and we were pretty fizzled out by the time dinner ended and we tucked into bed for an early start the next day to Versailles.
    Read more