Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Grand Palace & Wat Phra Kaeo

    March 10 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    In the morning, we walked through the backpacker district of Chakrabonse and Khao San Roads without much evidence of the infamous non-stop nightlife. We approached the Palace along grand streets and arrived around 9 (along with many others!). It was already very hot and humid.

    The Grand Palace complex was the official home of the King since 1782, however today the present King Rama IX lives at Chitralada Palace and the Grand Palace is used for important events and ceremonies. The palace was also the base for the royal court up until 1925. The Grand Palace was built in 1782 under Rama I when he transferred the country's capital from Thonburi to Bangkok (along with the Emerald Buddha). Each successive king had structures added to the palace complex up until the Royals moved out in 1925 followed by the government officials who left the palace in 1932 when a constitutional monarchy was established.

    Wat Phra Kaeo is the temple complex within the enclosure of the Palace and is more commonly known as Temple of the Emerald Buddha. The temple's claim to fame and main attraction is the Phra Kaew Morakot, the Emerald Buddha which was carved out of a single piece of jasper and has a long history of movement; it is beleived to bring legitimacy and prosperity to those who possess it. The only person who is allowed to get within touching distance of the Buddha is the king. The Buddha is "dressed" in a different cloak for each season of the year and this is done by the king in a special ceremony.

    Within the temple complex there is a beautiful mural depicting the epic tale of Ramayana and many beautiful highly-decorated buildings and chedi (where the cremated remains of important people come to rest).

    We did not have a chance to enter the actual royal palace buildings, but could admire them from outside. Very ornate, we can imagine requiring much effort to maintain in this humid and hot climate. Construction materials: wood, brick with stucco, paint, gold leaf and glass,
    Read more