Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Bich Dong Pagoda

    March 19 in Vietnam ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    We dropped the site of Vietnam's "ancient capital" Hoa Lur established about 1000 AD (as reviews indicate there isn't much there) in favor of visiting this pagoda. It is the oldest pagoda in the area, constructed in 1428.

    In 1705, two Buddhist monks named Tri Kien and Tri The discovered this pagoda and re-constructed it into three levels: Lower Pagoda (Ha Pagoda), Middle Pagoda (Trung Pagoda), and Upper Pagoda (Thuong Pagoda).

    In 1774, Lord Trinh Sam of Dang Ngoai (Outer Land) visited the pagoda and was impressed by the breathtaking panoramic view of nature there. The pagoda caught his attention, and he named it Bich Dong (Green Pearl Cave) Pagoda.

    We just looked at the first level as the skies just really opened up, and the steep, uneven 120 steps up to the second of three levels were definitely 'slippery when wet'. Two Vietnamese ladies spied Doug and "helped" him (although he was doing OK) step down the rock stairs then pulled out fridge magnets of Vietnam scenes for $1 USD which they wanted in exchange for the "help". Our first Vietnam "scam"; everyone is trying to make a living without breaking the law!
    Read more