Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Vietnam Museum of Ethnology

    March 21 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    After saying goodbye to our guide and paying the $27 USD for both of us (as initially requested if we were happy) we got a Grab to this museum.
    The Ethnology museum Hanoi is all about the traditional Vietnamese ways of life of the 54 different ethnic groups of Vietnam. The Viet make up the majority (85%); some of the other ethnic groups are the Muong, Tho, Chut, Tav, Thai, Ka Dai, H’Mong-Dao, Tang, San Dui, Ngai, Mon-Khmer, Nam-Dao, Cham, Hoa and Khmer. There is more ethnic presence in the North where there was in migration from bordering countries. Individual dress, customs and rituals creates a rich tapestry of cultures co existing in Vietnam. In the main exhibition hall there was much to see including photographs documenting how people dressed in the mid 2000s, and objects relating to everyday life, weddings, funeral ceremonies and other spiritual rituals.

    The outdoor display area exhibits a variety of Vietnamese homes as full-scale replicas, with great attention paid to the varying architectural styles set within the authentic and tranquil gardens. There are a range of traditional homes including a Tay stilt house and a Viet house complete with indigenous foliage, each separated by a small stream and reached via little bridges. In addition, there are also leisure pursuits on display including traditional water puppet theater and calligraphy.

    The newest hall, which we only looked into quickly, showcases the many cultural practices and civilizations across other countries of Southeast Asia.

    After we had a quick dinner we took a GRAB back to the hotel.
    Read more