Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Thien Mu Pagoda

    March 29 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    The rain and thunderstorms of the evening before thankfully receeded by the time we left with a car and driver (45USD) arranged through the hotel. We did the typical tourist "circuit" of four of the historic sites outside of the city, beginning with the Thien Mu Pagoda, (namely Heaven Fairy Lady Pagoda),

    The name of the pagoda derives from a special legend: an old woman appeared on the hill where the pagoda stands today, telling local people that a Lord would come and build a Buddhist pagoda for the country’s prosperity.

    The beautiful pagoda was built in 1601. by Lord Hoang who was the governor of the province of Thuan Hoa (now known as Hue), According to the royal annals, Hoang was on a sightseeing trip and holiday to contemplate the seas and mountains of the local area when he passed by the hill, which is now the site of the Pagoda. On hearing the local legend, he had the pagoda constructed. The initial temple was a simple form of construction, but as time went by, it has been redeveloped and expanded with more intricate features. Later on, several kings of the Nguyen Dynasty such as Gia Long, Minh Mang, Thieu Tri and Thanh Thai, all had the pagoda restored.

    The most striking feature of the pagoda, Phuoc Duyen tower (initially called Tu Nhan tower), was erected in 1884 by King Thieu Tri, and has become the unofficial symbol of Hue. This octagonal tower has seven stories, and is dedicated to a Buddha who appeared in human form. It is the highest stupa in Vietnam. To the left of the tower is a pavilion sheltering an enormous bell. The bell, called Dai Hong Chung, was cast in 1710 by Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu. It is famous for the great size, which is 2.5m high. It is considered to be an outstanding achievement of 18th century bronze casting. To the right of the tower is a pavilion containing a stela dated from 1715. It is set on the back of a massive marble turtle, a symbol of longevity, and is 2.58 m high.

    Most noteworthy to us was the beautiful view of the Perfume River, the seven level pagoda set amidst lovely landscaped grounds. Very well tended and peaceful.
    Read more