Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Peranakan Mansion

    April 17 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    The Peranakans (mixture of Chinese and local Malay, also known as the Babas (Mr) and Nyonyasa (Mrs), was a prominent Chinese immigrant community in the "Straits Settlements" (Penang, Malacca and Singapore); hence its other name, the Straits Chinese. Adopting selected ways of the local Malays and later, the colonial British, the Peranakans had created a unique lifestyle and customs which had not only left behind a rich legacy of antiques but its cultural influences like cuisine and language are still evident in Penang today.

    At the Pinang Peranakan Mansion, the typical home of a successful Baba of more than a century ago is recreated to offer a glimpse of their opulent lifestyle and of their many customs and traditions. With over 1,000 pieces of antiques and collectibles of the era on display, this Baba-Nyonya museum is housed in one of Penang's heritage mansion of eclectic Chinese/European design and architecture. Built at the end of the 19th the "Hai Kee Chan" or Sea Remembrance Store had once served as the residence and office of Kapitan Chung Keng Kwee. Though not a Baba himself, his Chinese courtyard house was a typical large Baba home of eclectic style, incorporating Chinese carved-wood panels, an anestors temple, English floor tiles and Scottish ironworks.
    Read more