Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Padron #12

    June 12, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 21 °C

    #12camino Thinking of mum today, it is her birthday, XII.VI.MCMXVI. Friendship and her love of art were important to mum. She got into the NGV art school, but her dad said there was no future in art and so she did dentistry. But art was sacrosanct and as kids we respected that. My friends thought of her as the ‘fun mum’. In the end her greatest comfort came from a dog-eared copy of Christopher Robin, which she could recite thru the cloud of alzheimers and macular degeneration as I read.
    To the Camino, an easy 20 km walk, no bikes and the pilgrims spaced-out beautifully. Didn’t talk much and accelerated when I could understand the conversations. Really tried to focus on mindfulness and my immediate surrounds.
    Padrón IS the cradle of the “Xacobeo” (Way of St James)
    Padrón is closely linked to the Way of St. James and the Apostle James. According to tradition, it was in this region that St. James the Greater preached the Good News. Due to this, after he died in Jaffa, Palestine, his body was brought here by two of his disciples, Theodore and Athanasius. After a long voyage accompanying the Apostle’s body, they came to the Port of Murgadán, Iria Flava, where they moored their boat to a Roman altar stone in the Sar River. The stone, which is called the “Pedrón,” is now located under the main altar of the Church of Santiago, in the municipality of Padrón. Padrón thereby became the “Cradle of the Way of St. James,”
    The medieval town of Padrón was established at a crossroads, a pilgrimage site in the Middleages.
    Had a lovely wander round the old town and climbed Monte Santiago. Beautiful shady trees in Bot gardens and pink sunset.
    I think it is going to rain tomorrow for the last leg, hope it doesn’t.
    Read more