Satellite
  • Day 2

    A gossip of Grandma's

    August 17, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    What do you call a collective of Grandmothers? Is it a nattering of Nannas or a gossip of Grandmothers? Either way that's what we had today. Kelly and Aaron were off to work and leaving the two experience Grandmothers (Caroline and Denise) and Ann and I in charge of three year old Claire and one year old Ritchie, how hard could it be.......... All we had to do was take them to the cafe for lunch and do some grocery shopping.

    What I didn't realise was that the logistic nightmare rivalled a Royal visit, there were snacks planned, routes discussed ( which considering there was just one road into town a little over kill in my mind) and clothing to be considered.

    After overstaying our welcome in the cafe we headed for the shops, my job push Ritchie around in the trolley. Cool I was zooming up and down the isles dodging old ladies until someone told me the idea was to get him to sleep, maybe that should have come out in the pre-trip briefing notes. Once I had the mission parameters set I achieved my goal, meanwhile Caroline put Claire to sleep just by talking to her, mmmmmmm maybe Grandma needs to work on her conversation skills.

    Being a 'Watson' holiday conversations turned to dinner and since fish and chups didn't appeal I decided to head to Invercargill in preparation for tomorrow's racing. I was a little concerned on the three hour drive as Google kept leading me into the backwoods where the sounds of banjos filled the valleys, but I made it there safely and another big surprise waited me. When I booked the hotel I had to pay a premium as it was the last room available, I suspect the reception lady may have been lying either that or there were a dozen or so cancellations.....

    I headed up town and decided on a traditional NZ lamb shank, Thai curry lamb shank that was, delicious.
    Read more