Satellite
  • Day 41

    Brisbane + Melbourne = Lisbon

    July 20, 2017 in Portugal ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Some time ago a friend told me that if she could pick Brisbane up and plonk it in London or Paris she would be the happiest girl alive as it would be a city that provides her the comfort of home and the culture that Europe so constantly delivers (and yes London is still Europe...for now...).

    I am a huge fan of both London and Paris but I think her compass was slightly off the mark, because I would go so far as to say that I am currently staying in that Brisbane of the northern hemisphere, but to take it a step further and say that if the Portuguese didn't discover Melbourne I will be a monkeys uncle. The similarities are uncanny in many ways.

    In a single day here you can wake with a facial suntan because you didn't close the blinds (Brisbane you know what I am talkin' 'bout). Spend the day body surfing within an hour of the CBD in temps of around 30 degrees, walk past many intriguing but closed doors, only to hear the sound of people enjoying themselves behind them. Visit churches and cathedrals that rival any their neighbours, then catch the 28 tram back to the neighbourhood for some of the best food and wine on the planet. Like Melbourne in Summer the sun doesn't set until late (sorry Brisbane, you can't have that one..) and the night only ends when the sun comes up again.

    My first two days in Lisbane or should I say Lisbourne or just settle on the original, Lisbon, have been a home away from home in a strange way. There is a connection here that I didn't realise I would have, and after soaking it all up I am so comfortable tonight I have made a home cooked meal.

    So it's Boa Noite from me for today and rest assured, I plan to get myself into something behind one of those doors any old day now!
    Read more