Satellite
  • Day 37

    Gel Fix

    October 4, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    In the 70s there was an adhesive glue product called Gel Fix. In conducting a quick search 40 years later I think it has been rebranded to another name under the Selleys label. The product still exists though and this is also a fortunate coincidence because my favourite childhood possession was named after a glue product and he is still going pretty strong today. He could be the poster boy for Selleys.

    So Gelfix (one word) was well travelled and lived a full life before retiring to the back of Mum and Dads spare linen cupboard. He went to America (loved Disneyland), went to Fiji, sailed on the Oriana and had numerous holidays on the Gold Coast, one of which had him buried in the backyard and the whole family searching for him. Fortunately after several hours he was retrieved from his early grave and hung by his ears on the line to dry. This was a good day for Gelfix.

    Gelfix is now around 45 human years old. And despite his nose disappearing some time ago and losing an eye (evidence that it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye) he still makes me smile. I mean when you really think about it, who wouldn’t be happy when they sit back all these years later and think about the first best friend they ever had and go “you know what, my parents were on the money when they let me name a teddy bear after a tough hardware product”. School of hard knocks rule 101..... no soft names for soft toys you hear me....

    So here’s to you Gelfix. Tonight I am going to finish sanding the putty in the hole in the wall and pull out the paint tin. I have some maintenance to be done around here and hey who knows I may even need some liquid nails at some point to finish the job. Keep going strong little buddy! You are just lucky we didn’t call you Selley.....
    Read more