Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    The untouched side of Maldives

    March 16, 2023 on the Maldives ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    Last day in the Maldives before continuing to India. It was a lovely time, interesting to see the other side of Meldives than what we usually know about Maldives, luxury holidays.

    In addition to the luxurious resorts, there are other islands with beautiful beaches that are (still) untouched by tourism. As an island nation, life revolves around the sea. The culture of the Maldives is influenced by Indian, African, Arabic and Sri Lankan cultures. Maldivians have assimilated bits of everything and built a unique culture. You can also see that in the food culture, which has different influences.

    The official language of the Maldives is called Dhivehi and is of Indo-Iranian Sanskrit origin, but most people also understand English. Islam is the official and only permitted religion in the Maldives, no other religion may be practiced. To be a citizen or own land you have to be a Sunni Muslim, no exception allowed. Historically, the Maldives has been a Buddhist country, but this has changed during 12. Century when Islam was introduced and slowly Buddhism disappeared, also by force.

    Not visible to us as tourists, but religion is an integral part of life here and the culture of the Maldives itself is based on Islamic Sharia, as in Dubai. The rules are strict here, but thats why resorts were built where tourists can have fun. Islam is strictly followed on the local islands.
    Read more