Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 15

    Breakfast in LaFortuna, next Rio Celeste

    29 de enero, Costa Rica ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    Anthony and I packed up this morning. We had brighter skies so took a look at Arenal Volcano this morning and we could see the cone at the top. It didn't last long before the clouds moved in. We ate at Jungle Bowls and shared the best, huge smoothie bowl. Once fueled up, we drove to Rio Celeste, the site of the Blue Lagoon ( water is a beautiful aqua blue). It is supposed to rain and in that case the water will not be aqua blue, but brown. We prepaid to go into the park so we are committed rain or shine. We had some really rough roads going in with lots of potholes. It was slow going, then just 3 km from the park the roads were good again!
    It was pouring rain by the time.e we started the hike. We decided to trek in our Teva's because our runners got so wet yesterday. We hiked to the site of the Blue Lagoon over rocks, mud, streams, bridges to see the brown muddy water and Sulphur bubbles percolating. We hiked to the end of the trail then headed back to the waterfall. We walked down and back up 253 stairs. 8 km today. Lots of great exercise this week!! On the way back out of the trail, a guide was stopped with 2 people. We asked what they were seeing and there was the snake I was hoping to see before we leave Costa Rica, the yellow eyelash viper. Highly venomous. It was curled up on a low branch. You could see it's eyelashes clearly. I never thought I would say this, but it made my day.
    We got back to the car and drove to our next stop, Monteverde. The roads were winding, mountainous roads coming out of the Volcano Tonorio National Park. We had some nice highway driving with some different landscape from our previous area. It was very open with the mountains in the distance. Once we turned off the main highway following the Monteverde signs, we were in for a shock. The roads were so bad and rough. We had to drive so slow for 20km. The view once we got to the top of the climb were spectacular. We were treated to a few rainbows on the way into our Ecofarm where we are staying. This farm is an ecolodge, sustainable and family run. We are in a basic Cabana. So far the food for dinner was fabulous.
    Leer más