Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Day 18: Hornillos to Castrojeriz, part 2

    June 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    We enjoyed Castrojeriz. We showered, left out clothes to dry in the sun, and walked to explore a little. We visited a beautiful church and enjoyed the views of the valley. We had a pretty good pilgrim’s dinner at the albergue - Castilian garlic soup is delicious! Then time for bed in our very cosy bunk bed compartments.

    1.-3. On the way to Castrojeriz we walked by these beautiful ruins of the Convento del San Juan. Actually, we stopped for a cold drink - there’s an albergue there, believe it or not.
    4. Lovely wide path leading to Castrojeriz
    5.-8. The Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Manzano in Castrojeriz. So beautiful! Theres a museum of sorts inside, which we paid €1 to see, and the very kind man working there was excited to tell us about some of the exhibits. We were told that photos without flash were ok, so these photos aren’t contraband. Unbelievable workmanship!
    9. Ruins of the Castillo de Castrojeriz, which squats on the mountain above the village. The size of the castle must’ve been awe-inspiring when it was whole! We saw a plaque commemorating the *1,000* year anniversary of the village. Difficult for an American to fathom!
    Read more