Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Day 19: Castrojeriz to Frómista

    June 5, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    Mileage: 16.5 miles
    Altitude gain: 840 feet (most of them all at once!)
    Altitude loss: 955 feet
    Weather: hot and sunny, but with a most welcome cloud cover at times. Rainy once we arrived in Frómista
    Total mileage: 226 miles

    It was a long day! After dropping down out of Castrojeriz and crossing some fields, it was a steep climb back up to the meseta, then a drop back down. It was also very sunny and warm today, which wore me out a bit, plus there weren’t many places to stop today, so we only had one break. I will say it was a very peaceful walk today, with no highway noise. Good to be off my feet this evening!

    1. Looking back over the valley and across to Castrojeriz on that mountain after our climb.
    2. Looking over the other side to the terrain for the rest of the day.
    3. I just love the poppies and can’t stop with the pictures of them.
    4. Still a variety of wildflowers along the trail, although we see new ones now.
    5. and 6. Midday cottonwood (?) forest.
    7. and 8. The meseta isn’t boring (to me, anyway) but it is very flat at times!
    9. We walked along the Canal de Castillo for the last few miles before Frómista.
    10. One last beer together before Angela has to leave tomorrow. It has been such a gift to have her here with me for the past two weeks.
    Read more