Satellite
  • Day 5

    Big day out in Amsterdam

    July 8, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Amsterdam Hop on, hop off bus
    Weather - mild / warm - 22°C
    Steps - 24,000 or 15.3km (Wow, no wonder my feet are tired)

    It has been a very busy day exploring the main sights of Amsterdam , particularly the ones we didn't get to see last thing we were in Amsterdam about 5 years ago. Starting with the first HOHO bus at around 9am we did the loop first (about an hour), before visiting the Dutch Resistance Museum, Rijksmuseum, the I amsterdam sign and Vondelpark plus a couple of other things. We wanted to visit the Anne Frank museum but when we got there the queue had to be 250-300m long to get in so we decided to give it a miss.

    The Dutch Resistance Museum was very interesting and dealt with how the Dutch Resistance assisted the Jews during the Second World War. The Rijksmuseum had some fabulous artifacts and reknowned artists such as Rembrandt and van Gogh but we were intrigued with some of the furniture there like writing desks. Outside the Rijksmuseum is the much photographed I Amsterdam sign, although today there were so many people in front of or climbing all over it, that it was difficult to get a good photo. Finally we wandered around Vondelpark with about a million other people before getting back to the hotel at around 6.30pm.

    We leave Amsterdam tomorrow on our cruise and this may be the last blog for a couple of weeks depending on Internet charges (usually very expensive at sea) or whether I can pick up WiFi in port.
    Read more