Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    The Lakes District to Cardiff

    August 27, 2017 in Wales ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Scotland to Wales via The Lakes District
    Weather - wet and dry

    We arrived back in Scotland and stayed overnight in a quirky little village called Wigtown which is known as Scotlands book town and there were bookshops everywhere (and not much else). From there we drove through the Lakes District which is a very pretty area and we would have enjoyed it except for 2 things. First, the weather was pretty lousy and misty rain spoilt the views. Secondly, we struck the August Bank Holiday long weekend and every man and his dog had left London to spend it camping, hiking etc. Combine this with the atrociously narrow roads and it really was not a pleasant experience. To top it off, there was nowhere to just pull over and take a photo and any parking places were controlled by the National Trust and there were parking fees (usually around £3). Consequently there were not many photos taken in this area.

    The following day we headed to the capital of Wales - Cardiff. We had a great time in Cardiff, partly because the weather was glorious, but mostly because our Airbnb hosts were the loveliest couple and we all got on like a house on fire. Back in Cardiff we visited the Dr Who Experience (Cardiff is where Dr Who is filmed). It was pretty good but they concentrated mainly on the more recent Doctors, not the ones I remember from my childhood like Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee. We didn't do Cardiff Castle but we did go to the Cardiff museum. We are finding that one activity a day is probably enough - two at the most. Must be getting old!

    The next couple of days are spent in the Devon / Cornwall region of South West England.
    Read more