Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Stavanger, Norway

    August 14, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    What we did:
    - 4:30am wake up to make our 6 hr drive and multiple ferry trip from Bergen to Pulpit Rock hike. Had to beat the afternoon clouds and rain!
    - Hiked the 3hr round trip hike to Pulpit Rock, enjoying the expansive views and sheer cliff face. Weather turned out great too. Trent did great keeping his fear of heights at bay until Steph said “You know I could just run off this right now if I wanted to”….
    - We spent the afternoon/evening exploring Stavanger - our favorite Norwegian town! Enjoyed drinks on the patio on “Color Street” before our 🔥 dinner.

    What we ate:
    - SUSHI!! The best Norwegian salmon sushi we ate at Sushi Sabi. Our favorite salmon sushi ever!
    - Trent had 3 ham sandwiches in the morning - one on each ferry. The PB&J/Oatmeal diet may have finally caught up to him

    Fun facts:
    - Pulpit rock was a location used for Mission Impossible 6
    - Japanese sushi never used salmon until 1985, and in fact they thought it repulsive as their local salmon had too many parasites. Norway had a glut of high quality salmon around that time and the fishing minister convinced Japan that they needed this fish to add to their sushi. By the mid 90’s Salmon became the most eaten fish in Japanese sushi.
    - Aurora salmon >>>> . Typically Norway exports all of this breed directly to Japan for use in their luxury sushi offerings, but the place we ate at had a deal to get a small quota.
    Read more