Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Stockholm, Sweden (Day 2)

    August 16, 2023 in Sweden ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    What we did:
    - Slept in and Trent went for a run and grabbed a late breakfast in Gamla Stan.
    - Caught a boat tour on the bay. Our guide was very nice and brought his guitar to play us some songs. No one was really paying attention so it felt like he was mostly talking to Trent the whole time.
    - Walked along the bay and grabbed a drink in Ostermalm on the water at a trendy spot called Strandbryggan.
    - Went to a lookout suggested by some local Swedes called Mariaberget. Best view to see the city from afar!
    - Our waitress from the wine bar told us to go to a beer garden overlooking the city - Mosebacketerrassen. This place was awesome - full of locals grabbing drinks after work. We got a couple of local beers and enjoyed the weather/scenery.

    What we ate:
    - Breakfast/brunch at Coffee Stop. We got carrot cake, coffee, and the local favorite Raksmorgas (aka an open faced shrimp sandwich).
    - Stopped at a local fish stand Strommingsvagnen to finally try some herring. We got the knackis (fried herring on crispbread)
    - We had a craving for American food and got our first burger of the trip at Barrels. These burgers were awesome! Definitely hit the spot. However our tummies did not fair well the next day due to all the things we ate and drank that day as listed above.

    Fun facts:
    - Sweden had such a large cigarette problem, that they subsidized snus/zyn which is now a giant industry in itself. They chew it like gum now and you can find it everywhere.
    - Pippi longstocking originates here.
    - Stockholm syndrome originates from a bank robbery where the hostages fell in love with their captors.
    - Sweden's current king became king at 18 and was nicknamed the party king. Now that he’s older he focuses on environment initiatives and building as many museums as possible. There’s now 50 museums in Stockholm alone.
    Read more