Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Interlaken (Day 3) - Wengen, Switzerland

    August 21, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    What we did:
    - Excursion round 2 - this time we are jumping off a cliff! Paragliding was straight up sensational. We took the gondola up to the top of Murren with our French and Spanish guides. These fellas just like soaring - having given tandem hang gliding and skydiving tours all over the world, we like we were in good hands.
    - You both get attached to a harness together and have to run full speed off the cliff, essentially running in midair while the parachute catches. After that it feels like you're on a sofa in the sky - so calm and peaceful just floating through the mountains and over Murren/Gimmelwald and Lauterbrunnen. We go the chance to fly over a canyon that is hard to reach via car or hiking, so awesome to get that opportunity.
    - Trent flew for 20ish minutes (that extra weight matters) while Steph was in the air for 30+ minutes. Steph had a false start on the take off due to wind changing directions, but after that was super smooth (albeit a bit nerve-wracking). Trent opted for some flips and spins at the end of his flight!
    - We grabbed celebratory coffees in Wengen at Hotel Caprice balcony with unreal Mountain Views - vibes were so high as we recapped our flights. 10/10 recommend paragliding.
    - In the afternoon we hiked the 2-3 hour Panorama trail from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg (took multiple attempts to type those). Great trail and views but a big sheer cliff/drop for Trent so he had mild to moderate panic and had to be talked down
    - After the hike went through downtown Lauterbrunnen for beers at scenic Restaurant Schutzen.
    - The evening was spent booking Oktoberfest tents.
    - MASSIVE SPIDER KILL COUNT at 2.5 - Undetermined if we got the third guy. Trent is phased after he came face to face with the second one again. Airbnb indoor temp registered at 31 Celsius - 88 degrees fahrenheit. Panic is slowly setting in…

    What we ate:
    - We need a Swiss Coop grocery store rewards card at this point. Made eggs and sandwiches in airbnb for breakfast/lunch and frozen pizza for dinner

    Fun Facts:
    - Hardo hang gliders will fly for 300-600 kilometers! You read that right - straight up human airplanes. They’ll get up to 15,000 feet and just float across the country.
    - Guides give 6 flights a day and each one is different based on the time of day, wind and heat.
    - In order to stay up or go higher you can catch “Thermals” which are pockets of hot air that help you gain loft. So midday/afternoon flights can be longer, but are a bit more choppy than early morning.
    Read more