Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Interlaken (Day 4)-Lauterbrunnen &Mürren

    August 22, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    What we did:
    - Airbnb saga hits the crescendo. After a sweltering nights sleep interrupted by dreams of spider attacks, we woke up to someone in the unit. They were downstairs but we understood that our host was gone. Trent talks to the guy, and as it turns out, there are many other roommates that have access to this “shared space” and therefore our unit.
    - We follow-up with our Airbnb host again on the growing list of issues, and that we essentially want out of the reservation. Under Airbnb rules we have a host of complaints that enables us to leave. However, our host Daniel is extremely unhelpful, blames us, and generally throws a fit (Trent absolutely despises Daniel). Daniel is unwilling to find a compromise so we pack up and leave the apartment and file a formal complaint with Airbnb for a refund.
    - We rebook to what turns out to be an awesome place up in the mountains of Wengen, and after 1-2 hours of phone calls won our refund battle with Airbnb handily. Nice profit on the refund too! Take that Daniel 🖕
    - Morale and great vibes reestablished (spider fears may take longer to abate) we set off on the picturesque North Face trail from Murren, up through the mountains and then ending down in Gimmelwald. Absolutely a top 3 hike ever for both of us - Switzerland is a gift to the earth; the place is incredible.
    - Back to Pension Gimmelwald for another big beer to celebrate our battle against Daniel and rave about our views from the hike. Steph’s retirement might be running a coffee shop in Gimmelwald and Trent can be the bartender.
    - Stopped for dinner in Lauterbrunnen and crashed in our clean, comfortable, and spider free hotel room. Daniel 🖕

    What we ate:
    - Made big egg and veggie scrambles at the airbnb before leaving and packed sandwiches for lunch.
    - 1st tourist entrapment of the trip with $65 for two burgers at Restaurant Schutzen in Lauterbrunnen… we know better but places close early in Switzerland and we were running out of options. Reminder - check the menu prices!

    Fun Facts:
    - Airbnb support is top notch
    - You CANNOT die from a spider bite from Swiss spiders.
    Read more