Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Interlaken (Day 5) - Grindelwald

    August 23, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    What we did:
    - Slept in after a glorious nights sleep and wonderful to wake up in the mountains! Nice coffee in town before making the trek towards Grindelwald
    - Grindelwald was easier to get to from our old airbnb so a bit of extra train travel to get over there but oh well!
    - Walked through Grindelwald before taking the 25 minute gondola (super long but picturesque Mountain Views) up to the top of First Mountain.
    - Solid two hour round trip hike to lake Bachalpsee capped by the “First Cliff Walk”. Cliff walk is single file grated floor/glass railing walk over the valley floor. Trent did okay heights wise given the railings and how many tourists there were.
    - First day of the trip where we really saw a large group of Disney World-esque tourists that kind of took us out of it. Everywhere else shocked us by how uncrowded it was so we were bound to get this at some point. Not our favorite hike but still solid.
    - Had a nice pizza dinner back in Wengen with an awesome night cap at a patio bar with live music and views of the mountain/cobblestone streets. Great cap to the Jungfrau region!
    - Read in the hotel and called Mom/Helen to plan for Amalfi!

    What we ate:
    - Coop grocery breakfast bars and pretzel bun sandwiches (this place rocks).
    - Salad and pizza dinner at Ristorante de Sina. Sticking strong to no alcoholic drinks at dinner - thriving on the big bottles of sparkling water!

    Fun Facts:
    - For friends/family wanting to do this trip, we recommend the first two days stay in Grindelwald (do canyoning, the First hike and Panorama/Eigen trails) and then transfer to three days staying in Wengen/Lauterbrunnen area (paragliding, North Face walk. Murren/Gimmelwald)
    Read more