Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Burghausen Worlds Longest Castle

    August 11, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    About 20 minutes from Unterneukirchin is a very cool castle that we toured twice and today was the first day. We went with our nephew Trevor and Rachel. This castle dates all the way back to 200 BC as a Celtic fortification In the 1100's Henry the Lion was in possession of the Castle and starting in the 13th century the Dukes of lower Bavaria had control of it. The reason it is so long is the castle was built to protect travel of salt boats coming down the Salzatch River which runs through Salzburg. Salt was money in the Roman empire.
    Fun fact! George the Rich married a Polish princess in 1475 and the town below, Berghausen has celebrated this wedding every year since. Westin has attended this celebration and he said it is quite a crazy party... The party goers all dance on the tables and eventually end up falling off. I took many pictures of this town...It is beautiful with its pastel colored buildings and you go through a tunnel under buildings on either end of the town.
    That night all of the family and friends gathered and we were treated to a pre wedding Bavarian dinner. I finally ordered Schnitzel that night and it was excellent..
    Luke and Devan arrived from the US just in time for the dinner.
    Read more