Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Eagles nest and dinner - Westin & Marina

    August 10, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    We headed out to Eagle's nest since we had most of the day free. Eagle's Nest sits atop the Obersalzberg mountains in one of the most beautiful parts of Bavaria, overlooking the small town of Berchtesgaden. Unfortunately, there was some weather that day and the tops of the German Alps were partly covered in clouds. They would clear briefly and peak through. We found that this is a very popular site & was quite crowded. You buy a bus ticket and they take you up the mountain and drop you off where you walk through a long underground tunnel to an elevator used by the Nazi staff. The elevator takes you up into the Eagle's nest which was Hitler's mountain retreat. Adolf Hitler didn't really spend too much time there, but he did meet with other heads of state from other countries there.
    After our tour of Eagles Nest, we headed back to have dinner with other family and close friends that had arrived and we all met up at Westin and Marinas home about 45 minutes from the place we stayed in Unterneukirchin. They have 6 bee hives and they are growing their own veges! The honey is the best I've ever tasted.
    Read more