Satellite
  • Day 14

    Cairngorms

    June 9, 2021 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We had two nights in the Cairngorms so no need to pack up this morning which was nice. There’s lots of watersport fun on the loch we’re staying on but when we walked down to the beach it was super windy!! After watching a couple almost tip a little sailing boat we opted for a walk so headed up to the reception and grabbed a map of the local walks. We chose the Loch Morlich trail, a 3.5 mile circular around the loch. It was mainly flat through flora and fauna with a few bridges over streams and rivers. We ended the walk a the local shop and cafe Pine Martens for some lunch. I went for a chicken club and Blake a goats cheese and grilled peach salad and we shared a nice side of halloumi fries.

    We got back to the van and chilled for a bit (probably played some monopoly cards) before heading to the nearest town of Aviemore for a gander at the shops. There are lots of snow capped mountains in the Cairngorms and the town feels like a typical ski resort with outdoorsy shops, takeaways and souvenir shops all the way down. I bought some scottish tablet to take home which is essentially fudge I believe and then we both grabbed some ice cream before heading back to get ready for dinner.

    We booked a table at a little hotel with good reviews called Rowan Tree Country Hotel where we both tucked into 3 courses of deliciousness. Starting with humous, flat breads and olives to start, mains of fillet of beef and spinach and truffle polenta, washed down with a lemon posset and sticky toffee pud. Aware of the incoming food coma (and the gates shutting at 10pm) we headed straight back to the campsite to change into something with an elasticated waistband and watched some Netflix with a cuppa.
    Read more