Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Fundy National Park

    June 26, 2023 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    Had coffee with Ed and Claudia, and started out intending to hike in New River Provincial Park, but the trails were too wet.

    Instead, we carried on to St. John to see the Reversing Falls (not before several wrong turns and a little backtracking. I think Garry is going to fire me as the navigator!!!)

    Anyway, the falls is a collision where the St. John River meets the Bay of Fundy. At low tide (when we saw it), the river empties into the bay, causing a series of large whirlpools. As the tides continue to rise, there is a brief period wherein the river and bay are equal, and this is called "slack tide." At high tide, however, the Bay of Fundy rises above the St. John River and the power of the tides actually reverse the flow of the river, creating huge waves and rapids. It's a very cool phenomenon to see!

    Next, we drove to Rockwood Park, still in St. John, and walked the trails before carrying on to Fundy National Park. I'm glad Garry was driving cause the road was non-stop corners and hills.

    Ended the day with a bbq and a bottle of New Brunswick wine. BTW, the campsite had amazing views!

    Tomorrow is another day of hikes....can't wait!
    Read more