Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Best Boat Tour Ever!

    July 25, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We had a busy day ahead, so Claudia made a hearty breakfast - bacon, eggs, hashbrowns - yum!

    We left the campground and headed for Western Brook Pond and our boat tour.

    Only Newfoundlanders would call this a pond. In reality it’s a big, deep lake that once was a true fjord that became land locked from the ocean, and the salt water was replaced by fresh water runoff.

    Onboard, the vews were spectacular - billion-year-old cliffs (150 meters taller than the CN tower!), waterfalls cascading over 2000 feet that often turn to mist before reaching the pond, and even a moose! Gros Morne National Park has about 2,000 moose, or about two per square kilometers.

    Then, just when I thought the day couldn’t get any better, our guides pulled out their guitar and spoons for a spontaneous kitchen party on the boat on the way back.

    Once to the landing, we had a one hour walk to the parking lot, so not only did we get a fantastic tour, we also got our exercise in. Win, win!

    Back at the campground, we had a BBQ and drinks, Ed and Claudia looking forward, Garry and I reminiscing about our trips.

    This was just a wonderful way to end what was an already fantastic trip from beginning to end.

    Tomorrow, we head to the port for our ferry ride back to Nova Scotia.
    Read more