Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Burgos - Hornillos del Camino - 13 miles

    October 11, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Up early and decided it was just too dark to try and find the yellow arrows that would lead me out of town so relaxed and enjoyed my breakfast - a banana and a sweet roll purchased yesterday.

    I did leave in the dark (got ansy), walked with an Italian for several miles and we helped each other find the directional arrows. Twice we had to ask as the direction was not at all clear. Es este el Camino? We stayed on track.

    Had a coffee in a small village as well as a neopolitan (chocolate pastry). It's amazing how great those things are after a few miles of walking.

    This was the beginning of the Meseta, the desert portion of the country. Not a lot to see but miles of rock and dirt. Local farmers must grow winter crops here as it does rain, but not now. Dirt looked very dry and the rocks were white. Spain must be the most rocky country around as the fields are just full if them, but even more on the Camino.

    A couple of long range pictures of the terrain with one looking into the town where I am spending the night. Expand the second picture for more pilgrims in the distance.

    I mentioned the challenge of finding the yellow arrows, but one location made it quite obvious. Biggest yellow arrow in Spain (well, perhaps not the biggest, but impossible to miss).

    I enjoy seeing the various bits of decoration on the buildings, etc. that are Camino related. In Hornillos the main albergue has a very attractive mural that caught my eye.

    Had a bocadillo at a cafe across the street from where I am staying and a beer for lunch. This will last until tomorrow, perhaps longer. They do know how to use up what we would consider stale bread, but when hungry, it cannot be beaten.

    Got an early am picture of the cathedral from the rear of it. Yesterday I approached it from the river and could not get a decent shot.

    This was a short walk today, but I recall when walking 13 miles was an ordeal, but not anymore. A couple of guys were walking with their dogs. Not sure whether man or beast was more tired.

    Dinner was with a Canadian, a South Korean, an Irishman, and a young man from Poland. The restaurant even had live music. This is what generates good memories.
    Read more