Satellite
  • Day 28

    Leon - Day 2

    October 19, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 2 °C

    Ahhh, I sit here at a local restaurant enjoying a coffee, large orange juice, and a crossant with ham and cheese. Yummy. It is chilly this morning, about 38, but no rain is expected.

    Leon has quite a Roman influence with their initial presence around the time of Christ. Two city walls were built, one in the first century AD, and the second in the third century AD. Good examples remain of both walls and they remind me of Hadrian's Wall in northern England. There is an excellent museum here pertaining to the Roman influence and the mockup of a barracks is a spitting example of an albergue. Seems like the Romans continue to have an influence on the Camino. Current excavations continue to reveal more information about that part of Leon's history.

    I walked around the old city and it's historical sites this morning except for the cathedral and I'll save that for tomorrow.

    The Basilica of San Isidoro was quite nice, but I really liked the wooden carving in Iglesia Ntra Sra Mercado...and the narow, curvy and winding streets. One could get lost without a map and if not for the many watering holes, die of thirst and malnutrition before being found. Hey, this is a really cool place to hang out for a couple of days.

    Also of interest is the Casa de Botines. Looks like a fairy castle.

    More pics tomorrow as I've maxed out for today.

    I'm chilling out for the rest of the day as one purpose of taking a couple of days here was to rest and get ready for more walking. Plan to have a pizza tonight at a place recommended to me by Thomas, the young German pilgrim that I met what seems like many days ago now. He found a place that serves fantistic pizzas so I'll try one. I'll add that where I'm staying is called Globetrotter and the "dorms" remind me of a new Pullman sleeper car. Double berths with a very narrow walk space. Nice, quiet, and the facilities are just across the hall. Oh, I do like this trip.

    Excellent pizza. Until tomorrow.
    Read more