Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Western Wall (Wailing Wall)

    May 14, 2019 in Palestine ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    The Western Wall (in Hebrew Kotel) is the last remaining part of the retaining wall erected by Herod the Great in 20 BC for his Temple Mount expansion. It is part of the support for the vast platform on which he rebuilt the Second Temple. The visible wall is 62 feet high with another 50 feet of depth underground. This remaining remnant of the Temple Mount wall is a special place for Judaism because of its proximity to the ancient site of the Holy of Holies. It is a focal point of Jews around the world. The wall area is partitioned between the men's section and the women's section.
    Often petitions and prayers are written down and placed between the huge stones in the wall. It is also called the "Wailing Wall", referring to the practice of Jews weeping at the site over the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD. Since the destruction, Orthodox Jews pray three times a day "May it be Thy will that the temple be speedily rebuilt in our own time". The issue of rebuilding the temple has been at the forefront of the Middle East conflict. Many violent riots have taken place on and around the Temple Mount. Though repeated negotiation attempts have been made by Israelis and Palestinians for terms of the site, the Temple Mount remains the most volatile acreage on earth. I placed a copy of Psalm 125 in a crack of the wall.

    Psalm 125 - A song for pilgrims ascending to Jerusalem.
    Those who trust in the Lord are as secure as Mount Zion;
        they will not be defeated but will endure forever.
    Just as the mountains surround Jerusalem,
        so the Lord surrounds his people, both now and forever.
    The wicked will not rule the land of the godly,
        for then the godly might be tempted to do wrong.
    O Lord, do good to those who are good,
        whose hearts are in tune with you.
    But banish those who turn to crooked ways, O Lord.
        Take them away with those who do evil.
    May Israel have peace!
    Read more