Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Western Wall Tunnel

    May 14, 2019 in Palestine ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    At the left end of the visible Western Wall is the entrance to the Western Wall tunnel. The above-ground visible portion of the Western Wall in the Jewish Quarter is about 200 feet long. Another approximate 1400 feet of the wall length is hidden underground. The Western Wall Tunnel is a subterranean tunnel that allows access to the remainder of the wall hidden from view. The tunnel travels northerly under buildings in the Muslim Quarter. While making our way through the tunnel, we saw several women along the inside wall and on steps earnestly praying. Some were in a specific area believed to be the closest point to where the Holy of Holies was formerly located.
    In the wall, the seven lowest layers of stones are from Herod’s construction and are easily identified with fine-chiseled borders or what looked like to me as frames. Most of these stones weigh between two and eight tons. We saw the biggest stone in the wall that was estimated to weigh 570 tons! The tunnel and exhibit give a clear understanding of the amazing construction of the Temple Mount, giant stones, water supply and a Roman street where our Lord was led to judgment.
    Read more