Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    St Francis Church, and 37th to 42nd St

    October 8, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    It was an overcast day, with some rain. There was a typhoon hovering in the eastern coast. But we persevered with today's plans.

    We braved the light rain towards the subway, but when we had to do some walking to St Francis Church in Manhattan, the rain picked up. We managed to get there in time for the mass we were hoping to hear. Afterwards, mom and Tita Elery met. Lots of warm hugs and kisses long overdue were exchanged between two good old friends. Her daughter and her husband were present as well.

    We also got to meet the mass celebrant, whom Tita Agot knew. It seems that he portrays an essential role for the Filipino community there, especially with visa related matters. He met us while we were queuing to utilise the public bathroom. He was very kind to offer us the use of the private toilets inside the administration area of the church. There I had to help him carry a box of sacramental wine up a few flights of stairs and I managed to see a bit of their priory, which wa mainly built-up wooden structures.

    We then had lunch in a nearby multi-cuisine centre that featured a buffet section as well as quick to-go meal options for the ever busy New Yorkers. Mom and Tita Elery exchanged stories with candour while they sat together and had their lunch.

    Then we said goodbye to Tita Elery and her daughter. Hopefully the two good friends will get to see each other again sooner than later. Then we went on our separate ways--they went home and we proceeded to visit the South Korean ethnic enclave in West 32nd St Manhattan simply called Koreatown. We were surprised with the alacrity of the place, and the amount of South Korean tourists made the surrounds look even more authentic. We had a snack at the nearby Caffe Bene and tried their pastries and coffee.

    Then we walked our way towards the Empire State Building. It was truly fascinating to be stepping into the world-renowned structure. It had a foyer featuring a very shiny embossed signage and building art. We did not go up the top but instead made the most of our visit at the lobby.

    As we proceeded, we were treated to a multi-cultural parade to mark Colombus day. It featured a variety of people in differing skin tones. We thoroughly enjoyed the live band music that accompanied the baton twirling females, along with all the colourful costumes the participants had to wear. As much as we enjoyed the spectacle it was difficult to repress the feeling of the need to be alert and be ready for the worse.

    Thankfully enough it turned out to be just another parade, no violence or whatsoever ensued. We then got to the Rockefeller Centre and took heaps of photos. It was packed with people, but we persevered, and Tita Agot's photo ideas gave other people some inspiration too. There plenty of gold statues and flag poles in the area.

    Then we passed by St Patrick's Cathedral. We were unable to enter as there was an ongoing mass. It was a real shame as the structures inside would have been beautiful to behold. Outside, there were a flock of pigeons roaming around, and when they flew altogether it made a scene usually featured in films.

    On our way to Broadway we passed by the Radio City Music Hall, and then, the Times Square.

    There were so much people in Times Square. It was an assault to the senses: gargantuan, animated advertisement boards found everywhere you look at, people in costumes, tourists, pedestrians, cars, rowdy crowds, eateries, shops.

    We took some photos while it was still dusk and decided to take some more later after we watched the Lion King.

    We made our way to the Minskoff Theatre and because we thought we will all get hungry if we attended the show without having something to eat prior, so we went to the nearby Junior's bakery.

    Finally, it was time to enter the Minskoff theatre. There was a bit of a queue that resolved quite easily. There was a quick check on our bags by the security personnel. Then up we went to the main halls to where our designated seats were located.

    My sister and I have both seen the Lion King Musical before and we thoroughly enjoyed it, so we thought it would be special to watch it with our mom and dad and auntie--in Broadway.

    Alas, the walk around the city have proved to be taxing that for some of us, it became challenging to stay fully alert throughout the duration of the show. Next time we know better, we will have to make it a relaxing day should we be watching a performance at night.

    Then we visited Times Square again for more photo ops. There were some ridiculous costumes there, such as an adult man wearing baby diapers, some nude people covered in body paint, while others had superhero costumes, or even some Looney Tunes or Sesame Street characters. Most tourists have photos with them and give them a tip.

    We then walked our way to M & M's shop. My sister and I were delighted and impressed. Straight away we caught a whiff of the distinct M & M's aroma as we entered the store. There were all sorts of merchandise there featuring the M & M's characters. And the highlight of them all are M & M's of the colours of the rainbow - - each colour in their very own dispensers!

    Unfortunately the Hershey's shop across the road was under renovation.

    Close by was a McDonald's, and we thought it was only right that we had some dinner so mom and dad can take their medications. Thankfully enough we did, as we got back to Tita Agot's home very late (around 1am+) due to track works and modified timetable. The subway was very uncomfortable--very humid and hot. It was noteworthy to mention that despite the unfavourable conditions, there were still some buskers performing in the platforms, singing their hearts out.

    By the end of it all we were very tired, but very fulfilled as well.
    Read more