Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Healy Dr, Chinook Centre & Gyu-Kaku

    October 11, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    Today we had to try and readjust to Calgary weather. From New York's sunny 28C, here it has been 1-5C throughout the day. On the upside, it was lovely to see Sigourney Weaver's doppelganger again as she gave us the run through of the the Weather Channel's forecast.

    We ended up deciding to bring some stuff to my sister's residence in Calgary. It was quite overcast, and some drizzle here and there was also noted. We had a brisk walk from the bus stop near her place towards the house at Healy Drive.

    Then we went to a nearby mall called Chinook Centre, and there we had some A&W burgers and sweet potato fries as we had a bit of time to spare before our chosen film started.

    After we watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle, we then shopped around as Chinook Centre was full of retail shops. Apparently it is the largest shopping mall in Calgary. It was spacious with high ceiling and very comfortable to roam around in. No one would know that outside was almost freezing.

    We then called an Uber service to take us downtown. My sister wanted us to experience a cook-it-yourself Japanese barbecue, so we headed to Gyu-Kaku. We ordered a variety of meats to try, and once they arrived, the waitress informed us of how long it took to cook each of them. It was visually stimulating to see the meat turn from pink to brown, watch it sizzle and then smell the aroma of caramelising flesh. We also had a bit of sake to go down with our dinner.

    Afterwards we headed back to Hotel Alma to retire for the night filled with hopes of visiting Japan again someday.
    Read more