Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Fushimi Inari Taisha

    November 18, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    This was our earliest start so far for this trip, as we wanted to make full use of our Kansai Thru Pass.

    Weather forecast predicted rain and it would turn out to be the warmest day of our visit. We selected appropriate clothing and brought umbrellas, making our bags heavier. Despite that, we were unfazed and looked forward to seeing what Kyoto had to offer.

    We eagerly boarded the train as soon as the exiting passengers alighted. However we were asked to exit and... when the doors opened again... the seats had swiveled to face in the new direction of travel. Remarkable!

    When we arrived at Fushimi Inari station, we were inundated in a sea of people. Young and old alike and people of all races had flocked to see the Senbon Torii with its many splendid gates.

    After we safely crossed the railway tracks, we had some delicious dango (this time cooked over a vibrating non-stick cooking utensil) on our way to the Shrine. This sticky rice was thick, but the crowds were even thicker when we finally reached the Shrine grounds. The street was filled with foodstalls, each offering unique delicacies and freshly cooked treats that filled our nostrils with delight.

    We did Temizu (purified ourselves) by the Chozuya (Shinto water ablution pavilion) before proceeding up into the Shrine. This was optional.

    After we took some snapshots by the main gates, we were inadvertently separated into two groups. Because there were heaps of people, it became impossible for us to locate each other.

    My sister and I went into a part of the Shrine where we rang a bell and clapped our hands twice, before bowing in earnest hope for our intentions to come true. We said in jest that perhaps we should have wished to find our parents amidst the sea of bobbing heads.

    We finally reunited up by the entrance to the Torii gates. We then segued to the nearby small bamboo grove, knowing we would not be able to visit Arashiyama's bigger version due to time constraints. It was almost other-worldly to find a secluded spot amongst so many tourists. Thank you to the blogger who shared this valuable information.

    After that, we got to witness a pre-nuptial photo shoot of a couple in traditional Japanese clothing. We all noticed how much in-love they were, the man with his shy smile, and the woman who was very sweet and tender. On the other hand, we observed that the surrounding foliage was only starting to transition to their autumn colours.

    On our way back to the station, we had some meat-covered rice for lunch. I was surprised at how the meat was actually lean, yet substantial. Mine was flavoured with seasoned-cod mayonnaise. Mmm, it was phenomenal.

    Finally, Mom and I strolled by the river to take some photos of her trees with their vibrant autumn foliage.
    Read more