Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Ninenzaka

    November 18, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    On the way to Ninenzaka, we walked past Ishibe-koji alley. It was like being transported back in time. They have implemented a no-photography rule in this area, although there were still some photo-shoot going on. We guessed that they obtained some sort of permit.

    After we had a bathroom break, we heard a flute playing over where the rickshaw operators were on standby. Not far in the distance we saw a man in Shinto priest outfit walking towards us and alongside him, a trusty furry companion with four legs. Later on we found out he was Samurai Dog Masamune. This internet celebrity has his own social media presence. He clearly enjoyed the attention garnered from all the tourists. For ¥100, one can get an adorable postcard featuring this unlikely duo.

    Ninenzaka path was like a river flowing with tourists, ending the illusion of time travelling. There was however a relaxed vibe emanating from the crowd. Perhaps people found solace in this preserved and yet modernised street. Unfortunately the 'historic Japanese-style' Starbucks was full.

    We passed by Yasaka Pagoda on the way out. It is a forty six metre tall pagoda with graceful, sloping roofs on each of its five tiers. A very iconic structure in the middle of this old Kyoto neighbourhood.

    By this time it is twilight, and the prediction of showers at 5pm had indeed come to fruition. Luckily we had umbrellas and Mom and Dad had waterproof garments, so we remained dry for our walk back to the station.

    As this station was crowded with tourists all heading back to Osaka, we hopped onto an outbound train and secured our seats two stations ahead of the crowd. Were we not the clever travelers! I wrote my travel journal with great difficulty as the train offered lulling motions to which we all succumbed effortlessly.

    Upon arrival in Namba, we had dinner in Zen. We had some grilled saba fish with nikujaga, a very comforting, home cooked-type of meal after a big day of exploration.

    When we got back to our accommodation in Sakuragawa, we planned for our trip the next day. We deliberated between Nara and Himeji. One website said the autumn foliage transitioned in Himeji area a week earlier than Kyoto/Nara area and so we based our decision on this before turning in for the night.
    Read more