Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Day 47 Kununurra

    May 30, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today we left the Bungle Bungle free camp for Kununurra.
    Along the way we stopped at a roadhouse where we found a live cane toad disposal. You don't see these in Victoria! Inside we saw a very dead and shrivelled up cane toad.
    Once we arrived in Kununurra we booked in to a caravan park called Kimberleyland Waterfront. After we finished setting up we visited the information centre where we did some research on some local tours we might do over the Bungle Bungles. We discovered that we would need either a 4 wheel drive or a plane to see them.
    Next we stopped by an indigenous art centre where Aboriginals go to do their art. We thought about buying some of the art until we saw the prices. Mum's favourite painting was $8,200. It is still there.
    Next we stopped by an impressive lookout over the town. It was only a short hike.
    Following this we stopped by a place called Zebra Stone who mine and then carve local zebra stone into unique household items. Zebra stones are rare stones found on an island in the middle of lake Argyle.
    Next we returned back to the caravan park and decided on a tour that we would do on Saturday, called the Ord River day tour and Riverside lunch.
    Later we walked down to the lagoon on the edge of the caravan park to see 'Gummy' the local freshwater crocodile and a Jabiru. Tomorrow we will be exploring more of Kununurra and Wyndham.
    Read more