Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    The mad King's son

    August 20, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    As we were leaving Brighton on a previous visit, we drove past the Royal Pavilion and Mary said "we must come back and look inside". Well today was our day to check it out. We were not disappointed - what an amazing place.

    George IV was King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and of Hanover following the death of his father, George III - who was best known as the "mad king who lost America". Followers of Black Adder would know more about this. George didn't get on well with his father and did his best to avoid him - a good way was to spend a lot of time in Brighton. From small beginnings the Pavilion was extended outward and upward with no regard for the cost.

    It looks Indian from the outside and is decorated in a Chinese style on the inside - it has to be seen to be believed. Mary and I spent the whole day there.

    After leaving the Royal Pavilion we explored the lanes of Brighton. The North Laine is much like Salamanca or the Block Arcade in Melbourne - full of people and shops. The people of Brighton are free spirits and it seem like love is in the air everywhere - people just feel free to express their affection in public.

    A walk on the rocky "beach" ended a most enjoyable and interesting day.

    Tomorrow we head to Thame - the place of Robin Gibb's grave and the site of many episodes of Midsummer Murders".

    Cheers
    Read more