Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Time for a walk

    August 23, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    On a long holiday you spend heaps of time driving, eating, drinking and sightseeing. There comes a time when you need to take a day off from the holiday rush and just go for a walk.

    Today is market day in Thame - much like Salamanca Market in Hobart with stalls selling fruit, vegetables, flowers, clothes - almost everything. Mary bought some light clothes that might be useful in Italy wear it has been very hot. And we also bought some flowers for Robin and Andy Gibbs's graves. A nice stroll.

    Now its time for some real exercise. There are many walks around Thame - the main one is the Phoenix Trail. It's a seven mile walk - I thought it was seven kilometres, and I overlooked the fact that it is seven miles one way. So, a 22 kilometre return trip was going to take me 4 -5 hours ! Anyway, having reviewed my abilities, we started out - deciding to walk for just one hour and then return.

    I don't think we have a lot to thank Margaret Thatcher for, but in closing down the rural railways she has left councils with ideal walking tracks. In fact there are over 12,000 miles of traffic free off road walking and cycling paths available throughout the UK. We were able to stop for a toilet break in a pub mid way - refreshed, we moved on.

    On returning from that walk, we decided to do the historic walk through Thame following brass plaques placed on the footpath outside significant buildings. It was fun trying to find our way around, but we did the lot - another 3 kilometers completed.

    A very pleasant day finished, we had dinner at the Spread Eagle Hotel - called the "Morecroft Pub" in midsummer murders.

    Tomorrow, some clothes washing and a trip to the Cotswolds.

    Cheers,
    Read more