Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Was that the Cotswolds?

    August 24, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Today was to be a day in the Cotswolds. First we tried to re-create a photo at the front door of Scotsgrove B&B and Mary, like the photos we have take on two previous visits. At this time of the year all the flowers are finished - but we did it just the same. Mary was going to do the washing, but George organise his daughter, Charlotte to do this for us - very kind. Mary was traumatised at the thought, but had to accept gracefully!

    Off we went down the winding roads and ridiculous roundabouts - no they are not roundabouts - which should be circular with 4 exits - that rarely happens over here - most roundabouts have trees or hills in the middle making it impossible to see where you are going. Alternatively, they are just painted on the road in the middle of a normal intersection - go figure?

    Through the lovely villages we went. Stopped at Bicester for a cup of tea. Couldn't find any so ended up in a pub again - but this time limited myself to coffee and cake. Very enjoyable.

    Off again heading towards Witney and Burford when we saw the turnoff to Blenheim Palace. We had both thought before this would be worth a visit so we took a detour [note to roadway engineers of England - not a diversion]. What a magnificent place - huge gardens and a huge palace. This was going to take some time to explore.

    It turns out that some guy [The Duke of Marlborough] led English soldiers to victory over France who were trying to take over Spanish territories in Belgium [a place called Blenheim] and was rewarded for his efforts with 1,000s of acres of land and an almost blank cheque from Queen Anne to build an enormous home. Oh, the queen was also good friends with his wife - nice to have friends in high places.

    We had the story of Churchill being born here and Lady Di's connections and the common tale of the grandsons spending all the money until one Duke married an American lady - a Vanderbilt no less - the palace was saved !!!

    We took the guided tour - always a good idea - you would miss interesting bits if you do the walk around by yourself. Then we when for a long walk in the gardens - very enjoyable - lush green grass and not a weed in sight and so many swans on the lake.

    Back to the B&B after we had our best meal in Thame, at the Six Bells, to pack ready for our trip to Ireland.

    Tomorrow we leave for London and to return the Hire Car. A visit to Camden Market is planned if we have time.

    Cheers,
    Read more