Satellite
  • Day 45

    SAS - goes well in Europe

    September 6, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    After the trouble getting to Venice - where it took 17 hours from Dublin - I wasn't confident heading to the airport. We checked out of our hotel, and paid the city taxes [this is a rip off - like showing a price without GST!] and carried our bags down to the St Mark's ferry terminal - no problem €16 each to go to the airport in comfort - albeit a little slow stopping at all points on the way.

    Sorry to mention this - but a male passenger needed to go to the toilet the way to the airport - nothing on board. The ferry captain told him to go between the boat and the gangway and straight into the canal - YUK! - no wonder the water is polluted. I asked him if the water was cold - he got the joke ...

    I like travelling with SAS. I think its because they don't call you until they are ready to go. You check through, board the plane, pinch someone else's space in the overhead for your 4 lots of hand luggage, sit down, close the doors and you are off. Nice. The trip to Stockholm was via Copenhagen - virtually directly north of Venice - it was cloudy so we didn't see much out the window.

    At Copenhagen we saw the funniest of things - guess they are everywhere but I haven't seen them before. It was two sealed glass rooms on the concourse, about 2 metres square set up for smokers. What a desperate habit.

    We arrived on time in Stockholm and walked to our hotel - well it's a hostel really - but very nice and roomy.

    Now I know the people with a disability have challenges with everyday living and I understand that - but this is our second time we have a room that has a bathroom for people with a disability, and I love it. Big room, shower curtain with heaps of elbow room, large toilet, the list goes on - I'm loving it.

    Did I mention before that the beds in Scandinavia are the best we have had - should get a good nights sleep tonight.

    Tomorrow we explore Stockholm with Grace.

    Cheers,
    Read more