Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    First visit to the USA

    June 28, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Mary finally jumped into bed around 2:00 am for one hours sleep - the alarm was set for 3:00 am. Its going to be a long day, so a strong coffee to start was required. We had organised a maxi taxi to leave for the airport from our place, so I did the trip around to pick up Roger, Andy and Oliver. The taxi was already at parked outside before I went to pick up the others.

    You have to be careful with advice from the check-in people. Some said that our bags will automatically go through to Canada - no they didn't, Some said you need to show your accommodation in America - others didn't, all said you need to show your ETSA for the USA - and yes we did, and one said we need to show our visas for Canada - others didn't. Find your own path ... as they say.

    Virgin wanted to leave Hobart early so we could get not Tullamarine before the sunrise fog sets in. The pilot said that "management wants us to try, but if the airport is closed we will have to turn around, come back and try later". Not a very positive start to the day! Anyway we did make it to Melbourne without a fuss.

    I don't like the new departure area at Tullamarine, gone is the central area that was full of lounge chairs - now its just shops and departure area seating? We had a good breakfast and watched a bit of World Cup while we waited.

    At the departure lounge, all travellers to the USA had to be interviewed, asked questions about where we were going and what we had in our bags. We must have answered correctly, because we all got an orange sticker inside the last page of our passports. Its all getting a bit paranoid I reckon, still if it keeps honest weirdoes off the planes that's good.

    You know the feeling as your heart sinks on hearing lots of pre school kids and babies near where you are sitting on an international flight. Yep, that happened and for the next 7 hours at least, crying, parents trying to control their kids and Mary having her seat back kicked constantly was the go. I had a couple of large straight scotches to get me through. The flight to LA was smooth and on time, but the 14.5 hours trip is a test - especially as seats are a bit hard.

    I don't understand the technology, but with all to pre flight security stuff, face recognition in the airport, why did we have to have our passports scanned two more times, finger prints (all) taken three more times, photos taken another two times before we got into the USA? Anyway, we all got through okay, picked up our bags, put them through to Canada an stepped outside to put our feet down in the USA for a few minutes.

    The arrival area at the airport was noisy, loud - car horns, sirens, whistles, shouting K9 dog patrols and people everywhere. Mery exciting really. Mary and Andrea found the Air Canada departure terminal and so it was off to Canada. Oh did I tell you that is was trainee security staff day. Well we all had to take off shoes belts etc and still, while under instruction, had the pleasure of being patted down. Time for a beer or two, chips and cheese before heading off to Canada.

    The three hour flight was easy after the longer flight we had just finished and so we seemed to be in Vancouver in no time - maybe we finally had a little sleep on the way.

    A $35 cab for six people and all the baggage form the airport into the city was cheap. Our apartment is brilliant, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and twin foldout beds in the main room. It has everything we need. Outside, there are lots of shops and eateries. We went to a sushi restaurant - so cheap, all the meals were around $10, great quality and good service. We are all knackered, so back to our apartment and a early night.

    Its been a long day, around 31 hours, but we have made it - tomorrow perhaps Stanley Park and Granville Markets.

    Cheers,
    Read more