Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Canada Day

    July 2, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Having a sleep in again when Mary says"is that an ambulance?", No Mary, its the bagpipes for the Canada Day Parade going through the Village! Outside there is a sea of red tee shirts, Canada Flags and people enjoying national spirit. Today we celebrate a young Canada's and its 151 anniversary ...

    So it off to see the celebrations - Mary found some Canadian Mounted Police - had photo taken and she is very happy. We walked miles to an IGA grocery shop, only to find on the way home, another grocery store right next to our hotel - thats what happens on holidays ... sometimes you find out the good things a little too late.

    A bit about Whistler. It was developed in 1962 when four business men from Vancouver wanted to make a bid for the Winter Olympics. Prior to this the place was called Alta Lake and have no road, no drinking water, sewerage or electricity. Now days they Whistler has a population of a little under 12,000 people but welcomes over 2 million visitors each year!

    Whistler is popular for weddings, there are parties everywhere - especially the girls are letting their hair down on balconies and in the streets - I guess the nervous grooms are hiding in bars.

    We have a great party in the Bride's penthouse - was able to talk to the locals about politics, retirement and the environment - all same issues as we have in Australia.

    Tomorrow Mary has a hens party in the morning and maybe we will go up the mountain again if the sky is clear.

    Cheers,
    Read more