Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Flying to Calgary

    July 5, 2018 in Canada ⋅ 🌬 20 °C

    We had arranged to be picked up at the Hotel at 7:50am. Surprisingly we were ready early and waiting for our bus - a mini bus for about 10 passengers. A couple more Hotel pickups and we were on our way for the 2 hour trip to the Vancouver airport. Not all drivers are the same, but this guy couldn’t steer. The road is full of bends and he threw us around every corner - not pleasant.

    I should do a rating for the security checkin at various locations - first there are frustrated travellers and second we have over the top security personnel. My ratings so far:

    Melbourne : 2 out of 10, huge queues, too many families [especially Indians] who refused to follow instructions, and too much shouting by security staff.

    Los Angeles into USA : 4 out of 10, so slow, so many double checks.

    Los Angeles going to Canada : 1 out of 10, training day, long queues, everyone patted down, belts off, and rude security staff

    Vancouver arrivals : 8 out of 10 : clean and quiet, passport ID machines that worked easily, quick and convenient.

    Vancouver departures : 2 out of 10 : slow, checked everything [more to come], disorganised and frustrating - and this was a domestic flight !

    Calgary arrivals : 8 out of 10 : guides that assisted - even offered us a car ride to pick up our bags !

    Calgary departures : 5 out of 10 : had assistance but still the most thorough check - had to empty bags more than I have ever before - an again this is a domestic flight!

    Funny thing happened. For some reason my body scan said I had something suspicious on me so after going through the scanner my hands and belt buckle were swiped. A young dude after me had the same, but when the security asked him to lift his tee shirt for the belt buckle check, his pants were down at he crotch with about 5 inches of underpants up to his waist. The security person looked perplexed but didn’t dab his wand on the poor guys crotch, just laughed and let him through!

    Now I don’t want to travel with any crazy bombers, but the whole system could be made a lot more user friendly and still be thorough.

    Our flight crossed the Rocky Mountains - I took some great photos, the number of peaks has to be seen to be believed.

    Arriving at Calgary we picked up a hire car. I asked if they have any maps as we didn’t have a sat nav or data on our phone for maps. The lady said, “sorry we have run out”. Helpful not. Anyway, last night I took photos of the directions from google maps and so Mary could read them off my Ipad.

    After a lap of the airport, we found our way out and, apart from one little wrong turn and a quick u-turn, we made it to our Hotel without missing another beat. Brilliant work by Mary especially as Calgary is starting its biggest event of the year - The Calgary Muster - with over 250,000 visitors coming in this weekend.

    Our hotel is a typical main road outskirts place, car park and 15 units at ground floor level and 15 up one set of stairs - of course we are upstairs. Its hot in Calgary - high 20’s, but we have a good air conditioner in the room.

    We went to a nearby restaurant, the “Notable” for a bit of fine dining. Two East Coast Canada scollops for over $30 was a bit expensive - but we enjoyed an great meal [around $160 for two after tax and tips] and one drink each.

    Tomorrow we drive to Lake Louise - should be amazing.

    Cheers
    Read more